MightyKids, Families & Community
Started in 2009, MightyKids, Families & Community (MKFC) is a drop-in activity centre for children and youths, ages 6-19, around the Telok Blangah Estate.
Many of them are home without adult supervision for a large part of the day, especially after school. This is often not by choice due to parents working two jobs or restricted by medical conditions.
We have seen that when there is parental absence, children and youths may turn to find support and acceptance in groups which may not be beneficial (e.g. At-risk groups or gangs).
When there is a lack of adult presence to model after or to guide, they may also struggle with sense of self, emotional development or making good life choices.
MKFC steps in to bridge this gap, providing a safe and supportive space to be in after school, as well as adult presence to support and guide the child/youth in building strong foundations before entering the next phase of life, through our focus areas below.
MKFC Focus Areas
Our focus :
- Mentoring and targeted counselling
- Interest-based activities and workshops to build character, competence, and connection
- Family bonding activities to foster family cohesion
- Assistance with financial applications and referrals
- Opportunities to give back to the community (e.g. serving the elderly)
- Food rations